Friday, June 13, 2008

This Old Barn

We're having our barn renovated.   When it's done, it will have a new steel roof, sides and doors.  We're also putting in 12 windows in the upstairs hayloft, and replacing the windows on the lower floor.   

I have lived at this place for 12 years, and bought it 5 years ago.   When I bought it, I hated that barn - it was a waste of space, and it ruined a perfectly good view.   The only money I thought I'd ever spend on it was picking up it's pieces after it caved in.   

If all else fails on our little enterprise, I will never regret saving the barn.   It was actually in fairly good condition for its age (built in 1917, you do the math).  Our builder can't believe how straight and level everything is.   Plus, now that we're using it for livestock, I am beginning to appreciate all the pens, hooks, storage spaces, and holes in the floor (for throwing down hay bales).   My husband is also going to use half of the hayloft for his studio (he's an artist / illustrator), so he'll have the beautiful old timbers, lots of natural light, and a huge open space.   
It's funny how wrong first impressions can be.... 

No comments: